Knowing yourself is the first step to building a successful business brand. When you know your strengths and weaknesses, your values and your purpose you can create a brand that reflects your unique personality.
Many brand challenges across social media and the wide internet focus on your target audience first and I would always say this comes much later in your branding journey. I talk a lot about not trying to fit into a target audience, rather find the audience that fits with your personality and your values. That way you’ll be more yourself, more authentic. Discover you first then look at your audience.
Here are a few tips for getting to know yourself better:
- Reflect on your personal values. What is important to you? What do you believe in?
- Think about your strengths and weaknesses. What are you good at? What could you improve on?
- Consider your personality. Are you outgoing or introverted? Creative or analytical?
Only once you have a good understanding of yourself, can you start to look at your ideal client and the audience you align with. You’ve then got the perfect foundation to develop a brand that resonates with you and your target audience.
Your brand should be authentic and reflect who you are as a person and your audience. Remember, your audience needs to see themselves in your brand too. They need to feel connected to you. Lastly your brand should also be memorable and stand out in your sector.
Tips for creating a strong business brand:
- Keep your brand consistent across all channels. Your website, social media, and marketing materials should all reflect the same brand identity.
- Be authentic. Don’t try to be someone you’re not. Your customers will see right through it.
- Be memorable. Your brand should be unique and stand out in your market.
- Be relevant. Your brand should appeal to your target audience.
- Be consistent. Your brand should be the same across all channels and touchpoints.
- Audit: Audit your brand at least every 12 months to make sure you’re still on track hitting all the points above.
By following this strategy you can create a strong business brand that will help you connect with your target audience and help your business thrive.
Get my FREE Brand Audit worksheet to see how your brand is doing right now.